What makes a community safe? Public safety is about whether people feel safe and whether the community has the conditions it needs to be safe for its residents. Public safety relates to community vitality, economy, education and health.
Other Interesting Measures
- Number of homicide fatalities per 100,000 population. Source: DHHS, CDC, NCHS.
- Number of property crimes (i.e., burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, arson) per 100,000 population. Source: DOJ.
- Rate of child abuse reports or indications (in development). Source: State and local Departments of Child Services.
- Number of domestic assaults reported per 100,000 population. Source: DOJ, CDC.
- Deaths with underlying causes of drug-related poisonings (age-adjusted rate per 100,000). Source: CDC.
PERCEPTIONS OF PUBLIC SAFETY
- Perceptions around police (in development). Source: To be developed.
- Number of first responders (i.e., paramedics, firefighters, police) per 1,000 residents. Source: To be developed.